Associations make broad contributions to American life. They are an essential element of our national, state and local economies. They create jobs in every state. Their measurable economic benefits include more than 205,000 jobs for Americans and a total payroll of more than $18 billion. Beyond their direct economic impact, associations play a vital role to enrich communities and create positive change around the world.
- The IRS recognized more than 60,000 trade and professional associations in 2020.
- The IRS recognized approximately 1.3 million charitable and philanthropic organizations in 2020.
- Associations employ more than 205,000 people.
- Associations generate a payroll of more than $18 billion.
- Nonprofit organizations’ share of GDP is over 5 percent.
- Trade and professional associations generate $116 billion in revenue.
- Nearly 63 million Americans volunteer through an association.